Monday, January 4, 2010

The Best of 2009

As we get 2010 underway and I am finally back home from all of my holiday visiting and traveling, I am presenting my list of the best of 2009. This list is made up of movies, television shows, and art that made me take notice.

Enjoy!

MOVIES



Coraline - A wonderfully creepy and masterfully rendered stop-motion animated movie presented in 3D. I wasn't aware of Coraline before the movie came along, but I was instantly intrigued when I started seeing trailers for the movie. Coraline is a thoughtful and relevant story, artfully presented and teeming with imagination.


Star Trek - One of my absolute favorites of the year and a shining example of great science fiction storytelling. I don't know whether to call it a reboot or reimagining, but this movie succeeded in capturing huge audiences and finding ways to be more inclusive all while making nods to the now classic Star Trek movies.


District 9 - As good as everyone says it is. Giant spaceships? Check. Creepy aliens? Check. Lots of guns? Check. People go splat? Check! Oh, and a story that illustrates mankind's penchant for oppressing others different from itself.


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Nowhere near as good as the book, but probably the best looking of the movies. Well, the best since the The Prisoner of Azkaban.


Up - I haven't cried like that since I was a little girl. The tale of an old man, a boy, a dog, and whole lot of balloons. Heartwarming and hilarious, I look for it to become an instant classic.


Zombieland - From the opening title sequence to the last frame, this movie is more than just the American version of Shaun of the Dead. No, it is actuality a zombie filled road movie with a hilarious Bill Murray cameo.


Avatar - I don't see any reason to see this movie once it is out of theaters. The CG world and creatures demand the big screen. The story was a bit on the lame side, but I am putting it on my list because of its amazing visuals.


Sherlock Holmes -Squeaking in just before the end of 2009, this movie is just plain cool. I like the way they handled Holmes and Watson in this retelling. The two are younger and much more physical, but without losing the genius that makes them the perfect detective duo.

 TELEVISION


Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 2 - While they are off to a great start in season two, we are reminded that we are just getting started. The characters, story, and technology only have gotten better and show no signs of stopping. A must watch for SW fans.


30 Rock - As funny as ever and worthy of every award they've received. Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, and Alec Baldwin are comic gold!


Flight of the Conchords Season 2 DVD - While not as amazing as season one, this collection of the final episodes of FOTC is worth purchasing to complete the set and wrap up the hilarious series.

ART


Anthony Lister - I have been smitten with his work for some time now and he just keeps cranking out amazing stuff. Some of it gets a little explicit, but if you know what he is going for it all makes sense. www.listerart.com.au


Kelsey Brookes - I don't even know how to describe this guy's stuff. It's just R-A-D, rad. Check him out to get an idea of what he does. www.kelseybrookes.com.


Christopher Charlie Isoe - I love his loose approach to portraiture. It's super gritty and honest and ugly. www.charlieisoe.com

HONORABLE MENTION





Well, that's it for 2009. I can't wait to see what 2010 holds. Blessing to you all in the New Year.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You pulled all of the coolest stuff in arts and entertainment out here and, with the exception of not mentioning another great year with the Force Cast, we almost go line for line in for the best of 2009. It's like we're married or something! :) You're cool.

    ReplyDelete